Statement and Commitment of Assurance
Housing Finance Bank is committed to protecting your privacy and is sensitive to privacy issues across board. The Bank treats any information that it receives from you with care and recognizes the need for appropriate action to manage and protect any information shared with us.
Sharing information with the Bank is done voluntarily and/or with your consent. The Bank shall always inform you if it intends to collect information from you, for any other purpose other than collection of information, to aid in offering the specific services. In this case, you will be given an opportunity to opt in or out.
Information Collection, Processing, Storage, Security Control and Disclosure
In line with our statement and commitment of assurance, privacy of your sensitive personal data is of paramount importance to us.
Data collected – Housing Finance Bank collects personal information directly from you, and within the ambit of the law, we may collect personal information about you from third parties and publicly available sources, such as credit reporting and government agencies for the purposes set out below.
The mode of collection may range from data through this website, associated websites, mobile sites, mobile applications, forms, and other channels. All data collected is always treated as private and confidential.
Types of personal data
The personal data collected and compiled by the Bank usually includes full name, identity card number, date of birth, biometric data, address, contact details and information relating to accounts and transactions.
Purposes of Collection and Use – The purposes of collection and use of Personal Data are to:
- Provide the services requested by and meet our responsibilities to you.
- Process information for business purposes including opening and maintaining your account, honor transactions, addressing any claims where applicable, management of risks and relationship management.
- Comply with legal obligations and regulations, confirm a person’s authority as a representative or agent of a customer, conduct record keeping.
- For market analysis, research, analyzing consumer trends in a bid to improve products and services.
- Creating and maintaining the Bank’s credit scoring and risk management models.
- Other purposes incidental to providing financial services.
Disclosure of Personal Data
- Personal data held by us will be kept confidential, but the Bank may provide the personal data to the following persons from time to time for the purposes set out above:
- Any person to whom the Bank is under an obligation or otherwise required to make disclosure under the requirements of any law binding on or applying to the Bank, or any disclosure under and for the purposes of any guidelines or guidance given or issued by any Authorities and Organizations all of which may be within or outside Uganda and may be existing currently and in the future.
- Any agent, contractor or third party service provider who provides services or technology to the Bank in connection with the Bank’s business and operation, including administrative, telecommunications, data processing, computer, electronic, digital or mobile services or technology, payment services or technology, handling and processing disputes and investigation relating to transactions or card schemes, telemarketing or direct sales, customer service center, or other services or technology to the Bank in connection with the operation of its business.
- Co-branding partners of the Bank (the names of such co-branding partners can be found in the application form(s) for the relevant services and products, as the case may be).
- Any other person under a duty of confidentiality to the Bank including a group company of the Bank which has undertaken to keep the personal data confidential.
- Credit reference agencies, and in the event of default, to debt collection agencies.
- Third party financial institutions and providers or operators of card schemes, payment systems or payment network.
- Third party reward, loyalty, co-branding, and privilege programs providers.
Security Control – Housing Finance Bank will take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure that your personal data is protected against unauthorized access, disclosure, processing, erasure, loss, or use. These steps include restricting access to personal data to the relevant officers and employees of the Bank, providing relevant training to the officers and employees of the Bank regarding proper handling of personal data, and applying encryption or other technology to protect the personal data.
Information held about you is retained for as long as the purpose for which it was collected continues to exist and or in line with the provisions of the law.
Cookies – These maybe used to help you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences and generally improving your online experience.
Cookies are primarily used to identify visitors when they return to a site, so that certain information already provided by the visitor to a site is not required to be provided again. Cookies are also used to gather data on which areas of a site or app are visited frequently and which are not. Keeping data on which areas of a site are most popular allows a site operator to better plan and enhance the site.
We may use the following cookies:
Strictly Necessary Cookies (Essential for the running of our website and mobile apps).
Performance Cookies: (To improve our websites and identify issues that you may have when using our services).
Functionality and Profile Cookies: (To help our website to remember your preferences and can help us to provide tailor services and features to you).
Marketing Cookies: To get the information about browsing habits.
Your right of access and correction of your personal data
As a data subject, you have rights to check whether we hold your personal data, have access, require the Bank to rectify/ correct, block, erase, destroy and prevent processing of personal data. You also have rights to prevent processing of personal data for direct marketing and in relation to automated decision-making.
Note: To enable the Bank process any data access or data correction request, you will have to provide information to verify your identity and your right to access or correct the personal data. The Bank may charge a fee for processing a data access request.
Please address your data access and data correction requests or requests for information about the Bank’s personal data policies and practices to the Bank’s [Data Protection Officer] as follows:
Data Protection Officer,
Housing Finance Bank,
Plot 4, Wampewo Avenue Kololo,
P.O Box 1539 Kampala.
Revised in December 2022.